Friday, January 2, 2015

Old Tricks Reflection


  Old Tricks written by Theodore M. Buckwald 
It began as an idea in the shower. A naive robber who falls victim to an old escape artist. This idea from the shower soon drew itself on paper. More and more adjectives began appearing in my head as the short story unraveled into script form. Each Adjective began to develop a voice as the dialogue on the paper was spoken for the first time around a small coffee table. It wasn’t long before the camera was rolling on my first short film: “Old Tricks.”
My actors brought emotions to the characters; emotions that I had never prophesied. Using method acting techniques, Joe Spano, the actor portraying the old man, used physical evidence to portray that he was struggling with the harshness of a terminal illness.  Although this was not my intention for the character’s portrayal, I was soon enamored with the decision he made, following the collaborative discussion between director and actor.
Every shot felt like a painting. The room was my canvas and every piece of set decoration was the paint. The camera was my brush, capturing the emotions and intensity of the room; transferring it to an electronic medium.
Every day following production, I added different layers to the story through sound and editing. Subtle yet powerful imagery and references began to fill the background dimensions of the story.
With a tap of the finger, a rough cut of “Old Tricks” was broadcast to a small group of peers in the backseat of a car. With a click of the mouse, it was being shown to the entire world.
            As the creative leader of Old Tricks, I found that leading the production from conceptualization to final touch ups allowed me to collaborate and compromise certain demands, all while consistently keeping an artistic touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment